One of the biggest challenges of injury is seeing the goals and timelines you once had for your season or your career slip through your fingers. You may know, objectively, that these plans no longer make sense given your new situation.
Still, your brain often holds onto these previous targets. Each time you realize you’re not reaching them can provoke feelings of failure.
Chances are, though, you’re making progress in your recovery in some way, each and every day. Shifting your focus to that forward motion, rather than solely mourning what you’ve lost, represents a powerful way to change your mindset around recovery.
This week, Carrie talks through an exercise designed to call attention to your achievements. Using Redefine Success—which is on page 50 of our book Rebound, if you’ve picked it up—you can learn to truly celebrate your wins. You’ll boost your mood in the moment, and fuel yourself with powerful confidence and motivation for moving forward.
On this episode, we discuss:
- Why the phrase “recovery is now your sport” is so transformative for injured athletes (3:27)
- The cruel trick our brains play on us when we’re injured (5:45)
- How celebrating your “firsts” empowers you (7:44)
- Why you should take pride in your perseverance and resilience (9:25)
- How using gratitude can open up your definition of success (12:11)
- The measurable—and squishier—ways to tell you’re getting stronger (15:56)
- Why, and how, to actually celebrate these newly redefined wins (18:02)
- And, how recognizing others’ wins can fuel you, too (20:09)
- The difference between redefined success and “good-enough goals” (21:22)
- How to avoid letting “secret goals” sabotage you (24:51)
You can subscribe to The Injured Athletes Club on Stitcher, Apple Podcasts, Google Play, or wherever you get your podcasts, and if you like what you hear, please leave us a rating or a review in Apple podcasts. That helps other injured athletes find the show.
To access more resources for injured athletes:
- Order our book, Rebound: Train Your Mind to Bounce Back Stronger from Sports Injuries, out now from Bloomsbury Sport!
- Join The Injured Athletes Club email list, for weekly news and updates
- Join The Injured Athletes Club Facebook group, for support and camaraderie
- Email us at [email protected] with questions, guest suggestions, or other feedback
DISCLAIMER: This content is for educational & informational use only and & does not constitute medical advice. Do not disregard, avoid or delay obtaining medical or health related advice from your health-care professional because of something you may have heard in an episode of this podcast. You should not rely on this information as a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Please consult with a qualified medical professional for proper evaluation & treatment. Guests who speak on this podcast express their own opinions, experiences, and conclusions, and The Injured Athletes Club podcast hosts nor any company providing financial support endorses or opposes any particular treatment option discussed in the episodes of this podcast and are not responsible for any actions or inactions of listeners based on the information presented. The use of any information provided is solely at your own risk.